Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Hmhm.

I've known for a long time that my painting skills and my "color-knowledge" are pretty much non existent (not to mention my drawing, but that'd be a whole new post), but in the last few days that fact has been hitting me in the face every single second. Seriously, all-the-time. Needless to say I've been super depressed and with mushrooms growing from my ears (now that's a pretty image), so I thought I should go back to the basics - really basics - and start off by using some photos as a reference and classic paintings as well.


Did this one in about 10 minutes (because I'm really slow and rusty), and used a picture of Yu Aoi - who's so beautiful, by the way - from the Honey and Clover Live action movie as a reference.

Just hope this kind of exercise turns out to be helpful. I really need to see some results here... my work has been frozen for about a year. Nothing new, nothing good. Pft.

1 comment:

  1. I think it is coming along beautifully. I like the soft, subtle brush strokes that are popping up around the eyes and lips. You are also using more bluish tints in the shadows of her face, which is good. A lot of people are afraid to use blues in skintones, but cool colors really add depth to shadows.

    You might actually be interested in my friend's post here: http://ramblingsofpoof.blogspot.com/2009/05/thecolorsdukethecolors.html - It's not a realistic painting, like yours, but the color blending technique is really interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Followers